Avvo Client's Choice Award 2016 Samantha Valentine Ellis - Badge
The National Trial Lawyers - Badge
America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys 2018 - Badge
10 Best Attorney Client Satisfaction 2019 - Badge
Elite Lawyer Criminal Defense Samantha Ellis 2020 - Badge

Enforcement and Contempt

Jacksonville Attorneys Advising Individuals in Family Law Matters

When a Florida family court judge enters an order, the parties in the case are required to comply with it. Violating a court order for a parenting plan, spousal or child support, or any other family law matter can have consequences for the non-compliant party. If you are owed alimony or child support payments, or if your ex interferes with your visitation rights, you may ask the court to hold the other party in contempt and enforce the order. At Ellis and Bryant, our Jacksonville family law lawyers handle a range of enforcement and contempt issues. Whether you are seeking enforcement of a court order, or you are defending against a contempt motion, we can provide compassionate and diligent legal representation.

The Enforcement and Contempt Process in Florida

In family law cases, a judge may decide issues relating to the parties’ divorce, parenting plan, child support obligations, and other matters. These decisions, as well as approved settlement agreements, are generally entered as court orders. The parties are required to comply with their respective duties and obligations as provided in the court order. If one party believes that the other party has disobeyed a court order, the aggrieved party may file a motion with the court to hold the non-compliant party in civil contempt. Common reasons for filing a contempt motion include failing to pay child or spousal support, preventing visitation rights, refusing to transfer property subject to equitable distribution, and violating a restraining order.

When filing a civil contempt motion, the petitioner must serve the other party with a copy of the motion and notice of the date and time of the contempt hearing. An attorney can assist them with making sure that the other party is properly served. The person filing the motion has the burden to prove that the other party violated the court order or judgment. This typically requires the aggrieved party to show that:

  • A valid court order imposed a clearly defined obligation
  • The other party had knowledge of the court order
  • The other party had the ability to comply with the court order
  • The other party willfully disobeyed the court order

At the hearing, the other party has the opportunity to offer evidence that they were unable to comply with the order or that they did not intend to violate the order. If the court finds that there is sufficient evidence to hold the other party in contempt, the court may impose sanctions and other relief to compel compliance with the original order.

Enforcement Options Available in Florida

If a person fails to obey a court order, the court may issue an order to enforce or compel compliance with the original order. In addition, the court has the authority to order other types of relief and utilize enforcement tools when appropriate under the facts of the case. These may include compensatory or coercive fines, the payment of attorney fees and court costs in connection with the motion, a monetary judgment with prejudgment interest, garnishment of wages, automatic deduction of support payments, a writ of possession for real property, incarceration with a purge, mandatory counseling, and more.

Typically, the relief provided by the court is adapted to the circumstances of the violation. For example, a violation of a parenting plan may be remedied by an order granting the aggrieved party additional time with the child. Pursuant to the Florida Child Support Enforcement Program, child support arrearages may be collected through more aggressive means, such as liens or a license suspension.

Seek Guidance Regarding Enforcement and Contempt from a Jacksonville Lawyer

If you need advice about a violation of a Florida court order, the attorneys at Ellis and Bryant can explain your options. We represent individuals in family law matters throughout Duval and Clay Counties, including in Jacksonville, Middleburg, Orange Park, Jacksonville Beach, and many other locations. To request a free consultation with a knowledgeable divorce attorney, contact Ellis and Bryant online or by phone at (904) 551-4120.

Client Reviews

She took the time to listen to our concerns and advise us accordingly. She fought for us until the case was done and after the case was complete followed with us. She is one of the few attorneys I have encountered who really care.


After leaving the office I knew I had made the right choice choosing Ellis and Bryant. Their honest and in-depth knowledge gave me a new perspective about my circumstance. Not only were they looking out for me but also my family and things that could play out in the future.


During the entire process I felt safe and secure that my most important matter was just as important to her. She along with her firm worked very diligently to ensure that my rights were met and decision deliberated by the court was the appropriate and fair judicial action in regards to my case.


We had an excellent experience with TJ as our Lawyer. I couldn't be happier with the out come for my daughter's case. He was able to have her new charges along with her violatation of probation dropped. I highly recommend TJ to anyone who is looking for an honest & hard working lawyer. Thank you...


Ms Ellis took advantage of every detail and applicable law in the handling of a very contentious child custody case. Both she and Mr. Bryant were courteous and prompt in all of our correspondence. She communicated effectively with opposing counsel to facilitate a fair and equitable outcome. Highly...

Photo of Samantha Valentine Ellis and Gary T.J. Bryant checking a case, Gary is sitting while Samantha is standing, both reading the same papers on a table.

Free Initial Consultation

Available 24/7 (904) 551-4120